MOMMYPAGE

Mom Pulls Up To Babysitter's House And Sees A Window Screen In The Driveway. That's When Her Heart Starts Racing

Facebook
Like

A Texas mom says her baby girl is lucky to be alive after she fell out of a window in her babysitter's home last week. Keep reading to learn more!

SHARE THIS STORY WITH YOUR FRIENDS!

  • more

    More Options!

More Sharing Options

X
  • Facebook

    SHARE NOW!

  • Twitter

    SHARE NOW!

  • Email

    SHARE NOW!

  • Pinterest

    SHARE NOW!

  • Tumblr

    SHARE NOW!

  • Google+

    SHARE NOW!

  • Reddit

    SHARE NOW!

  • Flipboard

    SHARE NOW!

  • LinkedIn

    SHARE NOW!

  • StumbleUpon

    SHARE NOW!

  • Digg

    SHARE NOW!

  • We Heart It

    SHARE NOW!

Advertisement

A Texas mom is warning other parents about the dangers of leaving windows open around small children after her infant daughter tumbled out of the second-story of her babysitter’s home.

As WFAA reports, Erin Cumiskey showed up to pick up her 11-month-old daughter Madeline on Thursday when she spotted a screen on the ground outside.

Seeing the screen instantly gave the eagle-eyed mom a feeling of dread.

"When I got there, I just saw the screen on the driveway, and I knew that was where my baby fell," Cumiskey said.

The babysitter had reportedly left some windows open in the home, assuming Madeline would not be able to hurt herself with the screens up.

As it turns out, Madeline’s weight was enough to push through the flimsy screen, causing her to fall straight out of the window.

Madeline immediately had to be flown to Children's Medical Center Dallas, where doctors revealed that the infant had bruises all over her tiny body on top of a fractured skull.

According to Lori Vinson, the senior director of trauma services at Children's Medical Center, children are brought to the ER from bad falls all the time.

Vinson hopes Madeline’s story serves as a sobering warning to parents who rely on window screens to keep their children safe.

"Screens are meant to keep bugs out not to keep kids in," she said.

Vinson says windows should never be opened more than a few inches with small children and babies in the house.

"If you have to open a window, only open it four inches or less," she said.

Vinson also recommends that parents invest in window guards to keep their kids safe if they live in a two-story home.

"Helping somebody is the best thing you can hope for," Cumiskey said.

Cumiskey knows her daughter is “lucky,” but she hopes her story can save other children from getting hurt.

WFAA shared this shocking story on Facebook, where several parents thanked Cumiskey for sharing her story.

“Mistakes happen so sad! But grateful the baby survived. All second story windows in our house are screwed shut for fear of that happening,” one woman wrote.

“I'm glad she is doing better, I bet the baby sitter feels awful. Prayers for everyone involved!” another added.

“Warning about window safety shouldn't be the issue, proper supervision of your child is the issue! Natasha Mckinney-Young this is ridiculous,” one woman commented.

 

Share This Story On Facebook!