Rebecca Shucart, Working Mother Now Starting Her Own Business
My name is Rebecca Shucart. I am 32 years old and live in the Bay Area. I have a one year old son and have been married for over 5 years. After working for six years at the same company, I recently quit to be a mother full time. I am also trying to start up my own art business.
Where do you find the inspiration for your artwork, and where do you showcase your artwork? What motivates you to be creative?
I find inspiration everywhere. I like to look at art online. I love weird and strange kids toys,I find them inspiring. I sometimes find inspiration from wrinkles in my sheets, mist on the shower glass and clouds in the sky. Right now, most of my art has been given away as gifts for friends and family, although I have shown some artwork at a record shop in Campbell. Breathing motivates me to be creative, it’s just part of me.
I have had many favorites over the years. I really liked this clock painting I made that was inspired by Alice in Wonderland. I made it a couple weeks after my son was born. I also made him a Dr. Seuss painting for his nursery of the Lorax. I think that one was very fun to work on. I think I have about 50 painting I could list as my current favorites. I put a lot of love in them all.
My mom and I are currently working on going into business together. We want to sew and create Irish dancing competition dresses. I am very excited about this as I can do it from my house while spending time with my mom and my son.
What type of activities does your family like to do to have fun/bond?
My family is very active and adventurous. We love to camp and travel a lot. Food is a huge part of bonding for us; we cook together all the time. We also have started running together and enjoy biking together as well. I cannot wait for our son to be old enough to rock climb and ski with us too. We also got to church every Sunday together as a family. We all like to laugh and play. It doesn’t really matter what it is that we are doing as long as we are together, we usually will have lots of fun!
What are some ways in which your family tries to save money?
We save money by using coupons and looking for items on sale. I love a good sale! I also try not to buy things we do not need. We do not own credit cards and I think that has helped us to learn how to save for things we really want and need. It sure makes vacations more enjoyable, knowing we have already paid them off before we have left!
Do you have any favorite blogs you love to read that you would like to share with our readers?
I cannot think of any particular blogs that I read. I do like Pinterest. I am not sure if that is considered a blog but I am on that daily along with Whattoexpect.com.
What are your top 5 tips for all moms?
1. Enjoy every moment with your family. Time is so precious.
2. Don’t let peoples negative comments affect your parenting style. I hear it all too often. If I am bragging about how excited I am that my son has reached a milestone, it’s always commented back with negative comments about how I will wish they were younger and not doing this or that. For example, If I am excited he is crawling. I hear how much I will regret this once he is crawling on furniture or up the stairs. I feel hurt because these are milestones he should be reaching, I am thankful my son is healthy and learning new things. But we all to often are told how each new adventure in our child’s life should be looked at from the negative side and how we will regret each one. So be thankful that your child is healthy and ignore the criticism.
3. There is no one way to raise a child. Do what feels right for you.
4. Take lots of photos. I don’t have time to write a diary to track every amazing moment with my son. But when I look back at all the photos, I recall all those amazing moments. I take photos daily.
5. Play and laugh with your kids. I mean, get down on the floor and play with your kid and his/her toys and if he’s animated, get just as excited as he/she is. It may not be the most exciting thing for you, but they will love it.