Introducing, Megan from Everyday Mom Style
I started Everyday Mom Style because I was sick of dressing sloppy every day- and having no motivation for taking a little time for myself. I decided that by photographing my outfits each day, I would be forced to make an effort. It gave me an excuse to play dress up each day. I also was really inspired by lots of other fashion blogs- but felt they were missing an important piece- and that is the ‘before’ look. No one tries an outfit on and gets it right the first time. it takes me several attempts before I am happy with the way my outfit looks- and I thought it would be fun to share those pictures so that moms can see that with some small changes, and outfit can go from blah to wonderful!
Where do you get the ideas and the inspiration to put outfits together?
My inspiration comes from many places: my sisters, my friends, magazines, the J. Crew catalog, celebs and other style blogs. Everywhere I go, I’m constantly people-watching and admiring their styles.
What are some wardrobe staples you think are a must for moms?
Staples for moms would definitely be a great pair of jeans and comfortable shoes. I swear by ballet flats. I’m on my feet all day and must wear comfy shoes. I think other ‘must haves’ depend on your personal look. For me, I’m a traditional dresser- so cardigans, blazers and scarves are essential to my wardrobe.
Can you recommend any great places to purchase these items?
I say go to Nordstrom for the jeans. The salespeople are knowledgeable and will be able to help find the perfect fit for any figure. Don’t try to find the perfect jean all by yourself. There are a million different cuts/ brands/ styles and what works for one person doesn’t always work for another.
What are some of your own wardrobe staples you find you can’t live without?
My skinny jeans, black skinny pants, long boyfriend style cardigans, soft t-shirts, lots of necklaces, scarves and accessories.
What are some ways in which your family tries to save money?
We rarely get a babysitter and go out. We usually get together with other families and include the children. I plan our weekly menu so that I spend only what I need at the grocery store. I try to buy everything with cash or with my debit card- so that I am only spending what I actually have. I carpool with other moms to save on gas.
What are your top 5 tips for all moms?
1. Take time for yourself. Whether it’s exercising, reading a book, spending time with friends, taking a bath… something special that is just for you to nurture you.
2. Enjoy being a mom. It’s challenging, frustrating and exhausting- but it also goes by really quickly and you will never get this time back. Laugh more!
3. Enjoy your husband and remember that after the kids are gone- it’s just going to be the 2 of you. Make sure that you are still friends and have something in common besides your children.
4. Take the time to get dressed each day. Don’t spend the day in sloppy sweat pants. If you’re comfortable in work out clothes- than get cute workout clothes. If you like jeans and t shirts, find ones that fit and are flattering. Make an effort. And no matter what- radiate confidence.
5. Always pack a sweater and a snack. (This applies to both you and your children!)