New Teething Products: What’s out there?
Mothers are always up for suggestions as to what to do to help soothe ouchy, teething gums. There are the traditional teething rings, clean wash cloths soaked in cool water, and mommy’s or daddy’s fingers. Then, of course there’s anything baby can find!
Well, below are a few suggestions of new and perhaps “new-to-you” teething products. Just because they’re listed here doesn’t mean I’m endorsing these products or recommending them. I’m just providing parents with options.
1) The Baby Safe Feeder – Cool or frozen fruit can be very soothing for baby’s gums, but there is always a choking hazard for those who haven’t mastered the art of chewing just yet. So there are Baby Safe Feeders and other mesh feeders. These feeders allow baby the yumminess of chewing on fruit without the risk of choking.
2) Sophie the giraffe – Sophie has been a world teething favorite for 50 years. Sophie is made from 100 percent natural rubber derived from the sap of the Hevea Tree and originated in France. Sophie appeals to all of baby’s senses.
3) Hyland Teething products – Hyland teething gel and teething tablets are back. In 2010, the FDA issued a warning about Hyland teething products because they contained benzocaine which had been linked to a rare, but serious condition which limited the amount of oxygen traveling through the bloodstream, particularly in children under the age of 2. In response to this finding, Hyland has reformulated their teething products with natural chamomile and belladonna which are known for calming irritability, redness and inflammation.
4) Teething Bling – Babies love to grab anything they can get their hands on and moms usually don’t get to wear jewelry for fear that it will end up in baby’s mouth. Now there’s teething bling, stylish jewelry for mom that’s safe for baby to chew on. They also offer teething bangles.
5) Etsy – Etsy has a nice selection of natural teething products – necklaces, toys, rattles, teething rings.
6) Spiffies – Spiffies are toothwipes that are great for keeping baby’s mouth clean and the textured finger toothbrush can stimulate and soothe swollen, sensitive gums. The wipes come in a variety of flavors that baby will love. It’s a great way to introduce good oral hygiene habits at a time when bacteria could be waiting to attack vulnerable teeth and gums.
Darlene Oakley is a freelance writer for EmpowHER.com.
Baby Safe Feeder. Web. Feb 27, 2012.
Sophie Giraffe: The Story. Web. Feb 27, 2012.
Hyland Products. Web. Feb 27, 2012.
“Hyland’s Teething Tables: Questions and Answers” U.S. Food and Drug Administration. Web. Feb 27, 2012.
Teething Bling. Smart Mom Jewelry. Web. Feb 27, 2012.
Etsy. Web. Feb 27, 2012.
Spiffies. Web. Feb 27, 2012.