An Interview with Amanda of Mommy Musings
Tell us more about yourself, your family, and your site:
My name is Mandy and I blog over at Mommy Musings. I started this blog almost three years ago when my oldest daughter was just a few months old. I was the first of my friends and family to have a baby and was feeling lost and alone. I never imagined just how many wonderful friends I would meet through the blogging community!
My husband, a cop and former Marine, and I have been married for 6 1/2 years and we are now the parents to two beautiful little girls. Little M just turned 3 and Baby C is 5 months old. We also have two puppies, a Shiba Inu named Shiba and an English bulldog named Mr. B.
I love blogging about my family, life as a cop wife, crafting, recipes, decorating, and home improvement.
What is it like to be the wife of a cop?
Being a cop wife carries so many emotions along with it. Sometimes I’m scared, sometimes I’m frustrated, but I am always proud. My husband is truly a hero in every sense of the word.
Tell us more about your 100 in Five Years list. How many items have you accomplished so far?
I am about half-way done with my 100 in Five Years list, so I think I need to step it up a little. Honestly, when I was pregnant with Baby C I sort of forgot about the list. Now it’s crunch time because I have just over 2 years left to complete it! There are a few things I might need to amend on the list though as our family has changed a bit.
What are some ways your family tries to save money?
Four people, two dogs, and a mortgage with just one salary can get a little tight sometimes.
Here are a few of the ways we save money:
1. Skip works as much overtime as he can at work. That extra income can really help.
2. At the supermarket I’m not really a coupon queen. I will use them if I have them, but I’m not going to buy something I just have a coupon for. I do make sure to buy things on sale and buy generic items as much as possible. That can save you a ton of money.
3. This year I am making most of our Christmas gifts. With a little research you can make some really beautiful gifts for cheap. Just make sure you are not spending more on supplies than you would on a store-bought gift!
4. I shop at the dollar store…a lot. It really is amazing some of the treasures you can find there, like toys, books, decorating supplies, party supplies, kitchen towels, etc. just make sure to go often to get the good stuff as soon as they put it out!
We know moms don’t get many chances to relax, but when you do get the chance, what do you like to do to relax?
Some of my favorite ways to relax are to go running outside or go to the gym, get a pedicure, or lay out at the beach all by myself. (though that last one happens only very rarely!)
Can you recommend any good blogs to MommyPage readers?
Some of my favorite blogs are:
5oh Wifey: Life as a Mommy and Cop Wife: http://www.5ohwifey.com/
Life as I Know It: http://www.lifeasiknowit.net/
Mommy and Charli http://mommy2charli.blogspot.com/
My Chihuahua Bites http://www.mychihuahuabitesblog.com/
My Marine and Me http://mymarineandme.blogspot.com/
Perfectly Imperfect http://justabitofmegs.blogspot.com/
Trying Our Best http://tryingourbest.blogspot.com/
What are your top 6 tips for moms?
1. Trust your instinct. You know your child better than anyone else!
2. Do not get caught up in ‘preachy moms’ who are always telling you that their way is the right.
3. Make sure to take at least 1/2 hour for yourself every day. It will make you a better person and a better mom
4. You can never snuggle your kids enough or give too many kisses
5. Be spontaneous sometimes. Leave the dirty dishes and laundry and head out of the house to do something fun!
6. Make sure to give your husband enough attention…and make sure he gives you enough too!!