12 Ways to Avoid Holiday Weight Gain
You can avoid gaining weight this holiday season. The holidays are often associated with weight gain, but weight gain isn’t inevitable. Check out a few tips to keep the weight off this year.
- Don’t wait until New Year’s to commit to healthy eating: Take the challenge to commit today! Don’t trick yourself into thinking you don’t need to eat healthy until New Year’s. Why wait? Start eating well now.
- Keep healthy snacks with you: Whether you are off to work or doing holiday shopping, pack healthy snacks. This will help you avoid unhealthy snacking later on and you won’t go hungry.
- Avoid unhealthy or fatty dressings, sauces, and condiments: Don’t waste your calories on these unnecessary toppings. Spend your calories on other foods you will really enjoy.
- Schedule times to workout: If you have a set schedule of when to exercise, you will be more likely to follow it.
- Exercise or stretch at home: You may be more motivated to exercise if you work out at home. Designated a location in your house or apartment where you feel comfortable to stretch or exercise.
- Exercise when possible, even if it’s only 15 minutes: Don’t worry if you don’t have too much time to work out. If you’re busy with the holiday shopping, try to exercise for at least 15 minutes.
- Don’t go hungry, eat before you go to a party: The best way to lose weight and stay healthy is to avoid being hungry. Then, you will be able to concentrate on making healthy choices and will be more likely to avoid the sweets.
- Eat healthy foods at parties before the unhealthy foods: If there’s a party, you know there will be food. Look for the healthy foods and fill your plate up with these items first. If you are still hungry later, then you can splurge in moderation.
- Avoid alcoholic beverages: Keep your alcoholic intake to a minimum. You don’t have to completely avoid alcohol, but limit your drinks. This may save you 100 to 500 calories!
- Don’t stand by the buffet table at a party: There’s no need to stand by all the food. Walk around and enjoy the party.
- Focus on talking with family and friends: Rather than focusing on the holiday food, socialize with your loved ones. Talking with others will distract you from eating unhealthy foods.
- Don’t get discouraged: The holidays are about relaxing, enjoying time with family, celebrating, and eating. Don’t become discouraged if you don’t eat healthy every night. Just try your best to remember these tips and you will be satisfied with the results.